Reuland Electric traces its history back to the 1930's when Frank Reuland, still in high school, rebuilt and repaired motors in his garage in Alhambra, California. The quality of his work attracted business to the extent that within four years, Reuland Electric was the largest repair shop in the area, employing ten electric motor repair journeymen. As the business grew, Frank enlisted the help of his brother, Howard, whose talent in management complemented Frank's mechanical aptitude.
During World War II, Lockheed Aircraft contracted Reuland to make dive-flap motors for their P-38 fighter. Under contract with Electric Boat Company of Connecticut, Reuland built twin fifty-caliber turret-drive motors for aircraft engine-powered motor torpedo boats.
The first "designed by Reuland" motor, a one-horsepower industrial type, was produced in 1945, which at peak production, numbered 1,500 per month. At that time, the Company began to manufacture custom designed motors. A complete line of motors featuring fluid couplings was introduced, followed by the introduction of magnetic disc brakes.
To accomodate the growth of sales and production, land was purchased on Mission Road in the city of Alhambra, CA, and a new building was errected.
In 1948, expansion continued with the addition of an aluminum foundry to produce the housings and bell castings for the motors
By 1953, motor distribution within the United States had grown to the extent that a warehouse was established in Howell, Michigan to accomodate the Eastern region. Continuing motor demands eventually required expanding this facility into an additional manufacturing plant.
In 1963, two hundred employees moved from the outgrown plant in Alhambra to the present location in the City of Industry.
A new generation of leadership began in 1972 under the direction of President Noel Reuland.
The Electronics Control Division was established in 1973, which manufactures RTC Soft-Start controls and Cushion Drive fluid couplings.
In 1978, California Arts and Graphics, a publications division was created. This division grew into an independent printing business which was sold in 1985.
To enhance Reuland's growth in the electric motor market, the Distributor Products Division was established in 1986 to sell standard motors and components.
A division in Cincinnati, Ohio also opened in 1986 to focus on research and development of motor design and advanced application of Reuland products.
In 1992, Reuland's flexible coupling line was added to the Distributor Products Division.
The final decade of the twentieth century was filled with advances in technology, changing the electric motor industry throughout the world.? Reuland Electric is meeting the challenge of these advances and has become a leader in the exotic motor market, providing customers with optimum proficiency, quality, and reliability.? This new generation products includes:
o Liquid-Cooled Motors
o Permanent Magnet Motors
o High Speed Precision Motors
o Inverter Duty Motors
o Partial Motors
o Variable Frequency Drive Systems
In 1996, a coordinate measuring machine was installed in a climate controlled environment.? The precise measuring capability of this equipment enhances production of precision components and ensures consistent quality.
2000 and beyond
Reuland Electric looks forward to continued growth through the manufacture of quality products and development of new technologies to meet the ongoing needs of its customers in an expanding market.